Justice Barone served as a Judge of the Family Court, Westchester County, from January 1983 until December 1991. Upon election to the Supreme Court in November 1991, he has presided in Orange, Dutchess, Rockland, Putnam and Westchester Counties.
Justice Barone has over 25 years experience as a practicing attorney and served as a trial attorney. He also has appeared on all major television networks to discuss several of his nationally recognized legal decisions. Some of these decisions include:
Tutak v. Tutak, 486 NYS 2d 637. The Court imputed the monetary gifts received by Defendant from his father as income and as a basis for determining support.
"Baby B." The Court ordered the immediate after birth removal of a child from it's mother based upon the mother's past history of neglect.
In the matter of Raquel Marie, 150 AD 2d 23. The ultimate decision resulted in the declaration of Domestic Relations Law 111(I)(e) as unconstitutional. The requirement that the unwed father live openly with his child's mother for six continuous months before the child's placement for adoption as a condition for the father's right of consent to the adoption was a violation of the equal protection clause of the Federal Constitution.
In Crossland Savings Bank v. Saffer, 153 Misc. 2d 287, the Court held that a lien filed by the homeowner's association of a condominium, for unpaid common charges, is extinguished upon the foreclosure of the first mortgage on the property and does not become the obligation of the purchaser.
Santy v. Santy, a relocation case, was published in the Family Law Review, Vol. 25, No. 3, (Sept. 1993). The decision was later affirmed by the Appellate Division.
Cellular Telephone Company, d/b/a Cellular One v. Village of Tarrytown, which permitted the erection of antennae to conduct telephone communication. This decision was affirmed by the Appellate Division, 209 AD 2d 57.
The Judge's article Grandparents: The Forgotten Generation was published in the Westchester Bar Journal.
Areas Of Practice
- Divorce and Matrimonial Law
- Family Law
- Estate Planning and Litigation
- New York, 1954
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1967
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1954
- Iona College
- B.A. - 1951
- Grandparents Rights, The Forgotten Generation, Vol. 15, No. 4, Westchester County Bar Association Journal, Fall, 1988
- Tutak v. Tutak, 486 NYS 2d 637
- Crossland Savings Bank v. Saffer, 153 Misc. 2d 287
- Santy v. Santy
- Cellular Telephone Company, d/b/a Cellular One v. Village of Tarrytown
- Invited Speaker, Renaissance Program, Arms Acres
- Guest Lecturer, Family Court Proceedings, Iona College
Honors and Awards
- Iona College Brother Loftus Law Achievement Award
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of New York Supreme Court Justices, Member
- Westchester County Bar Association, Member
- Westchester County Women's Bar Association, Member
- Columbian Lawyers Association, Member
- Police Columbia Association of Westchester County, Member
- Tri-State Italian American Congress, Member
- Pace University School of Law, Family Law Moot Court
Past Employment Positions
- Elected Supreme Court Justice, 1991 to 1991
- Elected Family Court Justice, 1982 to 1985
- Westchester County Board of Supervisors, Elected Member (1957); Re-elected (1959)
- Family Court, Westchester County, Judge, 1983 to 1991